sheep

Millmerran - Our Place

... the perfect place to visit, or stay for a while...

Millmerran

OUR ORIGINS

The name of Millmerran is said to be of aboriginal origin from “Meel” the eye, and “Merran” to look out. The name was suggested to Edward Walpole by Mr A Metson, who was a recognised authority on aboriginal speech. Mr Metson advised that the first syllable of the name could be pronounced Mill although “Meel” is the correct sound as given by the local aboriginal people.

European settlement in the Millmerran area began in 1841 when the Gore brothers established the vast Yandilla station. Yandilla station covered an estimated 1,780 square kilometres (690 sq mi) and hosted its own school with 20 to 30 students, telegraph station and store. Closer settlement began after the passing of the Crown Lands Alienation Act in 1876, which allowed Edward Walpole to select a portion of Yandilla station. In 1881, Walpole established a general store on the site of what was known at the time as Back Creek. In 1883 the area was known as Domville. The name was again changed to Millmerran on 16 November 1894.

Millmerran

AGRICULTURAL BACKBONE

Millmerran offers a diversity of agricultural enterprise afforded by a variety of soil types depicted by the natural vegetation. The deep black soils of the Condamine flood plain produce some of the highest yielding and quality crops in Australia. Red sorghum and white cotton lint intermixed with maize, soybeans, sunflowers and mung bean crops make up the patchwork fields through the summer months. Wheat, barley and chickpeas grow throughout the winter.

Brigalow, belah and poplar box landscapes support dryland cropping of cereal, pulses, sorghum and forage crops. Much of these shallower soil types lend themselves to beef and lamb production on natural pasture and fodder crops. Throughout these areas wool production has been a significant feature with fine to medium wool sheep producing excellent yields. Our proximity to population centres and animal feed stuffs mean the intensive livestock industry is the largest valued sector in the region. Pigs, poultry and beef grown here supply consistently high-quality produce that is sought after domestically and is exported to customers all over the world.

Millmerran

POWERING ON

Millmerran Power Station was commissioned in 2003 and is an integral part of the community. The 870MW plant owns the low-cost Commodore Coal Mine and utilises recycled water which is piped 98km from the Toowoomba Sewage Plant.

In 2006 the plant won the national Banksia Environment Award for water use. The supercritical units utilise the most efficient coal-fired technologies implemented in Australia. The air-cooled condensers mean that the plant consumes 90% less water than those with cooling towers. The plant provides up to 15% of Queensland’s power needs.